The Low Down

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

There's Something About Berries

I'm pretty sure June is the best month of the year if you like to eat. Give me hot temps and crowded beaches any day of the week, if I can trade it for fresh food off the vine, tree, bush or ground. Thankfully, my friends and family have connections with gardeners who are practically begging them to come thin out the crops. Oh okay... if you want...



Also, Mom was in town this week and on Monday she took me and my aunt blackberry picking. If you, like me, do not have blackberry connections, Gardener's Berry Farm is a gorgeous setting for this. This was Mom's second haul, and she said it was a little more sparse than last time, but we still pulled in two gallons in less than an hour.



The operation hours are a little bit tricky and you do need to call ahead to make sure there are actually berries on the vines. One gallon of blackberries will set you back $15, which is totally, totally worth it.


 

Then you can go home and make an easy dump cobbler* and everyone around you will realize you are Wonder Woman! (Man?)


*Just sugar up the berries to your taste, mix 1/2 stick of butter (melted), 1 c. self-rising flour, 1 c. milk, cinnamon in baking dish and pour the berries over it. Bake 375 for an hour. Easy.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Grace... I knew about all the great blueberry pickin' but did not know about the black berry place... tomato sandwich looks great too - reminds me to look for my tomato pie recipe.... now's the time!
    Susan, aka, Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Susan, aka Camille! I am really curious about your tomato pie recipe! I've never heard of that, but it sounds amazing... do you mind sharing?!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!