The Low Down

Thursday, June 21, 2012

GW#2: Rolling Down the River


My abs still hurt from laughing so much during last weekend. As you saw from my previous post, it was an eventful few days. NOLA was so delightful, but I don't think I could do it justice in this blog post.

Music & Coffee. Love.

<---- So, here's a picture that sums up the day.

Meanwhile...back in Baldwin County... Have you guys ever been to Dragonfly? I'm still trying to decide what I think about it. The food concept is so great. I love the idea of fusing Asian and Mexican flavors. A few weeks ago, I had a pork noodle bowl with green curry and egg noodles. It was delicious, but a bit too spicy for my taster. Next time I'll order sans jalapeƱos; the curry was hot enough. On Friday, I ordered the pork taco with an avocado sauce and apples. It was good too, but I think it could have been more spicy. (BTW, they have plenty of other meats, I'm just a sucker for a good pig.) Jackie had the veggie bowl - I just had a bite, but it is probably my favorite dish I've tried. So much flavor! So I love the food. My only beef (ha) with the place is the seating. The concept is cool, in theory. It's a "food bar," so that's the main seating option - a bar. In execution, in I'm not crazy about it. Maybe it's because I'm short. Maybe it's because I don't like facing a wall when I'm eating. What I do know is - it's awkward.

Thanks for the photo, Jackie!
Okay, I actually have two beefs, I also think some of the tacos and tapas might be a little too pricey.  It is not an expensive place, but I guess I'm comparing it to other places that have better tacos for less dinero. (Come back tomorrow...)

Besides all the calories we burned laughing our guts out, Jackie and I also spent a good bit of time racking up activity points... including a Kayak Trip to end all kayak trips. Eighteen people, from ages 3 to 70, hit Fish River with a vengeance after barely escaping a redneck brawl at Bohemian Park.(Yeah, I'm seriously exaggerating.) It was a fun 2.5 hour jaunt, where Jackie and I were able to brush up on our communication skills in a tandem kayak. I only caused her to cuss once when we ran through a spider-infested tree. Actually, I pushed said tree out of my way, which sling-shot it back into her face.

Sorry, again Jacks.

The stretch of river is shaded, and pretty, and the current keeps you moving most of the way. Just be prepared to get out a few times where trees hinder passage.The only downside the the whole day is that my phone got submerged for approximately 3 hours, even though I put it in "dry" storage. Thankfully, T-Mo is determined to keep us non-iPhone-smart-phone users happy, so there's a new one on the way. Despite the setback, it was good fun and a chance to appreciate another view of this beautiful area. And we really worked up an appetite for dinner at Big Daddy's!

I have so much more to say about the weekend. I'll tell you about Bravos Tacos and our Bike Ride tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/223/8254/Mobile/Anything-but-an-Oyster.html

    Best,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!