The Low Down

Friday, July 20, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake


Can we all just agree that we are tired of eating cupcakes? 

...Ok, now that we are all in agreement, let’s go back to eating cake. This cake: Dean’s (slap-yo-mamma) 7-Layer Caramel Cake  from Andalusia, Alabama.

I bring this up because J and I are doing a juice fast this weekend in an effort to reset our taste-buds. So, naturally, my daydreams are vacillating between bacon cheeseburgers and my favorite store-bought cake in America. Ugh. Yum.

Aunt Dean’s got it down, y’all. She recognizes cake for what it really is: a skeleton for its muscle, a frame for its drywall, a blank canvas for its Chagall, a set-worker for its Madama Butterfly. What I'm trying to say is: the true star in Aunt Dean’s cake is the icing. Oh, the icing! Her caramel spread has a contrasting sweet and smoky bite and that will make you wonder if there was an epic battle for good and evil fought in its fruition. Holy moly, it's good.

I admit, I'm so in love with the caramel, I've yet to venture out and try her many other cake flavors. Aunt Dean's website says her cake business all started with a Sock-It-To-Me accident. (How’s that for intrigue?) It also includes all the local places you can pick them up. I usually get mine at Allegri Farm Market in Daphne.

So tell me... what's your favorite cake?

Dean's Cake House on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Oh.....I will never, never not eat a bite of this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite cake is one that my grandmother makes. It is 2 whole chocolate cakes (sliced to make 4 layers)sandwiched between sweet cream layers and topped with fudge icing-it is to die for. I attempted it once and it was such a process that I will never do it again. I'll just keep visiting to eat hers:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!